Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Wordsmyth

No word I speak marks word on page
To pronounce what hopes I wish to say.
I would read you poetry if you knew
how much each lyric heavy-hearted weigh.

And people say I read to much
I look for a world beyond my door
And yet no matter what I read
I am still longing for something more.

Perhaps I hold too much tragedy
For tonight I read the saddest lines
When even true love I see can fade
And every fair sometime declines

Yet somehow I love with words so deep
Words of gladness and not of woes
But how my cheek still blushes pink
to think of my love as a damask rose

Words and pride are all I have
when all I breathe is breathing you.
Still I doubt the words upon my lips
Because reading words can't make them true.

Countless volumes cannot help me now
Though countless, say I, is love for him.
Shamed am I to lay down love
And wake Diana with a hymn.

And all my words from borrowed ink
can't spill the secret no one knows.
Three spoken words from tongue and lips
can speak to you my heart's true prose.

I find the choice is mine to make
or to sweep under the rug beneath.
Shall I make our story a happy end
or a happy daggers bitter sheath?

No comments: